JAMES T. & BETTY COFFEY FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
Purpose: To award grants to schools and other youth support organizations that will involve as many children as possible in programs of drug and violence prevention, life skills and learning opportunities, as well as to ensure that young people are actively engaged in significant service and service learning activities.
Grant Criteria: Schools or other Youth Support Organizations willing and able to meet the following criteria, will be eligible for a grant:
- Demonstrate that the intended use of the grant by the recipient is to conduct a program or project that encourages and includes, multiple young people in a life skills, citizenship, drug or violence prevention, and/or community service project or program.
- Demonstrate the approval and support, of the proposed use of the grant, by the appropriate school administrator, or executive of the youth organization.
- Be able to join with a local Lions Club in a joint service project.
- Plan to conduct a project briefing with the Lions Club and other community representatives.
- Submit an article, with photograph(s) about the project/program, to a local news media outlet, and send a copy of the same to the Ohio Lions State Office at 4074 Hoover Rd./Grove City, Ohio 43123.
- Provide public recognition to the Ohio Lions and the Local Lions Club for their participation and support.
- Demonstrate qualification as an exempt and/or IRC 501(c)(3) organization, and upon request provide the Ohio Lions administering agent a copy of its most recently filed I.R.S. Form 990, together with a copy of its I.R.S. determination letter.
MAXIMUM GRANT AMOUNT: $500.
Contributions: For a $500 contribution, an individual Lion, Lioness, Leo; or Lions, Lioness or Leo Club; or individual or business/ organization may be named a James T. Coffey Fellow. The award recipient will receive a beautiful 7”x5” individually numbered Lion etched statue with an engraved plaque. For a $250 contribution, an individual Lion, Lioness, Leo; or Lions, Lioness or Leo Club; or individual; or business/organization may be named a Betty Coffey Fellow. The award recipient will receive a beautiful 5”x 4” individually numbered Lion etched statue with an engraved plaque. In addition, the following information should be sent if you are donating toward a James T. or Betty Coffey Fellowship: Type of Fellowship to be awarded, Name of Recipient and Donor, Date the Award is to be presented, Address where the Award should be mailed, Contact Person Phone Number and Email Address, and if the Award is a surprise.
Checks should be made payable to: Ohio Lions Foundation - Coffey Fellowship Program. The original application should be sent to your District Youth Committee Representative. A copy of the application and the check should be sent to Ohio Lions Foundation. A copy should also be sent to the State Youth Chair. A final copy should be sent to the Ohio Lions State Office, 4074 Hoover Rd, Grove City, Ohio 43123 so the statue can be ordered. Please allow 2-4 weeks for processing.
Contributions are tax deductible as the Ohio Lions Foundation is a Section 501(c)(3) charitable organization.
FOR MORE INFORMATION: Contact your District Youth Committee Representative, Ohio Lions Foundation Trustee, Ohio Lions State Office or visit our website at www.ohiolionsfoundation.org/fellowship.htm.
SUPPORTED AGENCIES & CAUSES:
In recent years the agencies or charities supported by these funds have been:
Sight & Hearing:
- Pilot Dogs
- Prevent Blindness Ohio
- Radio Reading Service
- Newsreel, Inc.
- Columbus Speech & Hearing - Deaf/Blind Outreach
- International Relations
- Amigos de las Americas
- Student V.O.S.H.
- Camp Echoing Hills
- Liberty Day Ohio
- Peace Poster Contest
- Lions Quest
- G.O.O.D. Program
- Leo Programs
- James T. & Betty Coffey Fellowship Program
Supports activities and trips of an all Ohio High School All-State Band, promoting teamwork, service and positive youth activities for those young people involved. Donations can be for any amount, or a club may choose to sponsor a band member specifically named or one who does not have a club sponsor.
The annual sponsorship fee is dictated by the annual goal of the Band.
PROCEDURE FOR DONATING: Send ALL checks to the appropriate District Representative. Donations can be earmarked for a specific agency or charity.
Checks should be made out as follows:
- Ohio Lions – Sight and Hearing Fund
- Ohio Lions – International Relations Fund
- Ohio Lions – Youth Fund
- Ohio Lions – Band Fund